RDS NW e-bulletin – October 2021
RDS NW e-bulletin
In this issue:
- Your Path in Research – find out how a North West clinician stepped into research
- Virtual Grant Development and Writing Workshop – 23 and 24 November 2021
- NIHR Research for Social Care (RfSC) event – 25 November 2021
- NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research (PGfAR) and Programme Development Grants (PDG) – information webinar – 9 December 2021
- Developing funding proposals in applied mental health and social care: NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Programme event – slides available
- NIHR Local Authority Short Placement Award for Research Collaboration Pilot Scheme (LA SPARC) launched
- RDS blog: ‘Talking about… patient and public involvement (PPI) in mental health research’ – a new video series from the NIHR Mental Health Research Incubator
- NIHR School for Social Care Research (SSCR) Individual Research Career Development Awards 2021
- Did you know…about the RDS?
- Other events and webinars
- NIHR funding opportunities
Your Path in Research – find out how a North West clinician stepped into research
If you are a health care professional and you are thinking about getting into research, why not check out the blog about a Clinician in the North West and his first steps into research.
Dr Samuel Hey, COVID-19 Clinical Research Fellow and Internal Medical Trainee at North Manchester General Hospital, shares how caring for patients during the pandemic sparked his passion and first steps into research.
If you are thinking about your first steps into research take a look at the Your path in research website which provides four easy ways to start your research career.
The NIHR Research Design Service North West (RDS NW) is also here to support you on your research journey. We will support you developing your research idea into a funding application to allow you to get your research underway. Come and discuss your research idea with our expert advisers who can also help you find appropriate funding. Remember to come to us early.
Follow #YourPathInResearch on Twitter to follow the NIHR campaign with lots more examples of health care professionals taking their first steps in research. Request advice from the RDS NW today.
Virtual Grant Development and Writing Workshop
23 and 24 November 2021
This free two-day workshop will provide a great opportunity to help you to make progress in developing your NIHR research proposal into a competitive application. There will be presentations from experts and advisers, and opportunities to ask questions along the way. There will also be an opportunity to hear from previous successful applicants, and their experiences of applying.
The workshop, hosted by the NIHR Research Design Service (RDS), is for health and social care researchers who would like to learn more about writing a successful research funding application.
NIHR Research for Social Care (RfSC) online event
25 November 2021, 1.30pm to 3.00pm
This RDS hosted event will introduce social care researchers, practitioners and users to the latest call from the NIHR Research for Social Care programme (RfSC), competition 4.
Speakers include the RfSC Programme Team, the RfSC Committee Chair, Dr Mark Wilberforce (who is a successful applicant) and a public involvement expert.
There will also be a presentation from Autistica. Working with Autistica, the NIHR are also inviting proposals for collaborative research projects to better support autistic people who access social care.
The remit of the call, requirements and application processes will be covered.
The event will provide top tips for your application from researchers who have been funded by RfSC and offer a chance to ask specific questions.
There will also be the opportunity to speak to an RDS adviser about your research question/proposal.
NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research (PGfAR) and Programme Development Grants (PDG) – information webinar
9 December 2021, 10.00am to 12.30pm
This is an information webinar on the call for varied research approaches to address NIHR and NICE priorities in Multiple Long-Term Conditions (MLTCs).
This free half-day event for potential applicants will cover the expectations and requirements for this call. It will also provide background information on priorities in MLTCs and an overview of support available through the Research Design Service and Clinical Research Network. Whilst the event is not intended as a forum for detailed discussion; participants will have an opportunity to ask questions.
New and varied research partnerships, methods, and approaches are needed to better understand, prevent, and manage multiple long-term conditions (MLTCs) in populations, groups, and individuals. This PGfAR/PDG call seeks diverse evaluative programmes to provide evidence for health, public health and social care practitioners and services to address the growing challenge of MLTCs.
Developing funding proposals in applied mental health and social care: NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Programme (RfPB) event – slides available
The RDS hosted an informative and engaging event on 21 October focussed on the upcoming RfPB Mental Health research in Northern England call.
If you were unable to attend the event you can find the presenters’ slides here.
Videos of the presentations will be available shortly. Look out for an announcement on Twitter. Follow us: @NIHR_RDSNW. Request advice on your funding application.
NIHR Local Authority Short Placement Award for Research Collaboration Pilot Scheme (LA SPARC) launched
The LA SPARC scheme supports individuals working in local authority settings and NIHR Academy members to design and apply for funds to undertake short placements allowing them to move between NIHR and Local Authority settings in either direction.
Individuals can apply to the LA SPARC scheme for up to £15,000 to undertake a bespoke short placement/taster opportunity. Applications are short/light-touch and will be assessed in open competition.
The scheme supports:
- Individuals based in a local authority setting who would like to undertake a short placement/taster opportunity in a part of the NIHR/academia. This may appeal to those who are interested in enhancing their careers, in experiencing research from a different perspective or in taking the next step in developing a practice academic career
- NIHR Academy members supported in the NIHR Infrastructure, a NIHR Health Protection Research Unit (HPRU) or an NIHR School who would like to undertake a short placement in a local authority/local authority commissioned service setting. This may appeal to individuals who want to work alongside service commissioners and providers to hear the issues and challenges being faced at the local level, to share knowledge and experience to shape their future research or to develop possible collaborations and joint ways of working.
If you are intending to apply for an LA SPARC, come to RDS NW for advice on your application. Request advice on your LA SPARC application.
RDS blog: ‘Talking about… patient and public involvement (PPI) in mental health research’ – a new video series from the NIHR Mental Health Research Incubator
In this blog, three contributors, Heather and Gail (public contributors) and Jo (RDS South West PPI Lead) introduce the series.
NIHR School for Social Care Research (SSCR) Individual Research Career Development Awards 2021
SSCR have announced the launch of the next call of the Individual Research Career Development Awards.
The deadline for applications is 4.30pm on 17 January 2022 and expressions of interest are requested by 4.30pm on 10 December 2021.
Did you know…about the RDS?
Did you know Research teams supported by the RDS are awarded more than £240 million* each year to deliver their research?! This includes over £20 million in the North West! Request advice on your funding application.
*Data collected across the ten RDS regions in 2021 showed that the Service supports over 3100 research teams each year and that the average yearly value of successful applications is more than £243 million.
Other events and webinars
- NIHR Academy Members’ Conference
23 and 24 November 2021
- How to incorporate Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in Patient and Public Involvement (PPI)
1 December 2021, starting at 2.00pm.
NIHR funding opportunities
- Programme Development Grants – Social care call
Closes 24 November 2021.
- Invention for Innovation – Product Development Awards Call 23
Closes 8 December 2021.
- 21/575 HS&DR Rapid Service Evaluation Team 2022
Closes 5 January 2022.
- 21/574 Health Services and Delivery Research Programme (standard researcher-led)
Closes 11 January 2022.
- 21/573 NIHR James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnerships rolling call (HS&DR Programme)
Closes 11 January 2022.
- Advanced Fellowship Round 7
Closes 13 January 2022.
- Doctoral Fellowship Round 7
Closes 18 January 2022.
Request advice on your funding application to any of these funding calls.
Always check with the event organisers/funder for latest information.