RDS NW advice service
The support available includes all aspects of research design and conduct including:
- How to formulate a research question,
- Research design for quantitative studies – including advice on randomised controlled trials, ethical issues in study design, feasibility issues, blinding and allocation to trial arms; power calculations and other underpinning statistical advice including analytical strategies,
- Advice for observational and quasi-experimental studies,
- Advice on economic aspects of studies,
- Research design for qualitative studies, including sampling strategies, data collection methods, and analysis techniques,
- Advice on how to identify and apply to appropriate funding schemes,
- Public involvement in research design and conduct,
- Advice for contacting appropriate collaborators in research.
These services are available face to face and are supported by telephone and e-mail contacts.
To request advice from our expert advisers, please use the Request Advice Link here . Advice is available from the research idea stage and at any point in the development of your research funding application. Please allow plenty of time before a funding deadline if seeking advice.
Online self-help resources are also provided via the section links above.
The Research Design Service can provide post-funding advice to researchers experiencing difficulties and who received and acknowledged Research Design Service support in their successful funding applications. This support may relate to study set-up, delivery or analysis, but will be advisory only, including signposting to other groups. The Research Design Service cannot provide support to fill gaps in the expertise of research teams. Please contact the RDS NW coordinating office if such advice is required.
Current events organised by the RDS NW can be found on the RDS NW Events page. You can also find an archive of past RDS NW events here. Here you will find information on the events as well as resources such as slides and video.